Re: What is the mental model of XProc?

I think more of unix pipelines with inputs/outputs etc .... also I see
no problem in looking at xproc steps as a kind of functional
decomposition.

though I think its probably easy enough to write procedural looking
code inside xproc but we are still looking at a declarative model.

as for goals/aspirations, etc you can refer to the spec and related use cases.

cheers, Jim Fuller