Re: XProc Best Practice: favor XProc primitive steps over XSLT and Schematron?

From: James Fuller <james.fuller.2007@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 14:15:01 +0200
To: "Costello, Roger L." <costello@mitre.org>
Cc: "xproc-dev@w3.org" <xproc-dev@w3.org>
On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Costello, Roger L.<costello@mitre.org> wrote:

> Hi Folk,
>
> One way to implement an XProc pipeline is to simply call XSLT (using p:xslt) and have a stylesheet do the work. Or, call Schematron to do the work.
>
> Alternatively, the work could be done using the basic XProc steps.
>
> What's best practice? Should the basic XProc steps be favored over escaping to XSLT or Schematron?

as for your specific question I think a number of ancillary questions
could be asked to help qualify, for example:

* is streaming important ? if so, you might find the native xproc
solution more amenable to streaming then xslt/schematron based
solution

* should I embed rules within xproc (as in the native xproc solution)
?  How will this effect maintenance of rules?

w/o wanting to sound snarky ... I don't think there is much in the way
of  best practice just quite yet with XProc, still early days ...
though good to discuss.

cheers, Jim Fuller