Required attributes are not required by the XProc schema?

From: George Cristian Bina <george@oxygenxml.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 17:04:59 +0300
To: XProc Dev <xproc-dev@w3.org>
I noticed for example that the error steps is described in the spec
QName -->

Note the required="true" set on the code option.
In the schema however we have a code attribute defined as optional:

<define name="Step-error">
     <element name="error">
         <ref name="name.ncname.attr"/>
       <ref name="common.attributes"/>
         <attribute name="code">
           <data type="QName"/>
           <ref name="InputBinding"/>
           <ref name="WithOption"/>
           <ref name="Log"/>
             <ref name="Documentation"/>
             <ref name="PipeInfo"/>

Is this an error and needs to be corrected or there are some reasons for
this difference?

Best Regards,
George Cristian Bina