From: xproc-dev-request@w3.org [mailto:xproc-dev-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of David A. Lee
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2009 10:22 AM
To: Florent Georges
Cc: Toman_Vojtech@emc.com; xproc-dev@w3.org
Subject: Re: Calumet and relative URIs

Ignoreing JVM's where CWD is simply not implemented ...

CWD is "vague" IMHO in Java because its process-wide not thread specific.
If you run multi-threads there is no way to set the CWD differently within
each thread.
Depending on your program that can be "just fine" or "a total stumbling
block".

An example.
In xmlsh, for example, 'sub shells' are run as seperate threads.  These
seperate threads can "cd" to different directories
then run other programs such as xslt or calabash or whatever.
so you can do like this

( cd /foo ; xslt < file.xml ) &
( cd /bar ; xslt < file.xml ) &

In a 'normal unix shell' the implementation is obvious, you simply do a
chdir() and the OS takes over.  Its process-wide and settable.

In Java, there is no such thing as 'chdir()' that can operate on a thread
basis.  There's actually no 'chdir' at all.
I have largely faked this out by creating a thread specific version of the
System properties ... this *mostly* works.
That is any code entirely in java which uses the system properties for the
CWD as they are supposed to works, but *SOME* Internal java code,
especially in the File API's dont do this, they go directly to the OS for
the CWD.  which hasnt changed, and even if I wrote a JNI to change it,
cant be per-thread.   I've been fortunate and have been able to work around
this ugly thing in all cases I've found so far, but it is very very tricky,
and whenever I add a new library I discover new ways it can break.

Thats why I say CWD is  'vague' in Java.

David A. Lee

dlee@calldei.com

http://www.calldei.com

http://www.xmlsh.org