base URI after select= in p:input, p:identity

From: David A. Lee <dlee@calldei.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 08:51:16 -0500
To: <xproc-dev@w3.org>
Looking at the required test   base-uri-002  I see this pipeline

<!-- This p:identity step makes sure that we grab the root element -->
<!-- where the xml:base exists. Otherwise, we get the base uri -->
<!-- of the input document itself, and that varies by test env. -->

This implies one or both of 2 things which I cannot find explicitly
specified in the specs.
These seem to follow other conventions but I cant find them spelled out.

1) if you use a select in p:input then the resulting document's base URI
becomes the base URI of the root element of the selected node.

2) The base URI of the output of Identity is the base URI of the root
element, not the document

My *Guess* is that #1 is what's intended.
There is similar verbiage for p:viewport but not for p:input or p:identity

"The base URI of the resulting document that is passed to the subpipeline is
the base URI of the matched element or document. "

I suggest this should be added to the p:input description, as well as other
places where "select=" occurs that produces documents, such as in the
bindings.   For p:identity, I think unless #2 is intended, that the
implication is clear, that the base uri of the input document is passed to
the output document.

David A. Lee