using <make-absolute-uris> on the output of a <directory-list>

From: Tony Rogers <tony@gonk.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 14:41:46 -0400
To: xproc-dev@w3.org
I just started using Xproc, and I am very excited by the features it
has to offer.  I recently ran into what I *think* is a simple
problem.  Here's the setup:

I have the combined the outputs of several <directory-list> steps into
one document that looks something like the following:

<directory name="nameOfDir" xml:base="file:/path/to/nameOfDir">
	<directory name="anotherDir" xml:base="file:/path/to/nameOfDir/
		<file name="name-of-file.ext" />
	<file name="another-file.ext" />

Note the following:

all <directory> elements have an @xml:base present, with a properly
url-encoded path.
unlike the above example…
the output is in the namespace xmlns:c="http://www.w3.org/ns/xproc-
step".  I didn't feel like typing the prefix for the short example
above.  :)
many of my files and directories have spaces and other non-url-
friendly characters in their @names.  (This does not apply to the
value of @xml:base on the <directory>s.)
when I attempt to run <make-absolute-uris match="file/@name" />
afterwards, I get a long mess of java IllegalArgumentExceptions.  I'm
guessing it has to do with the characters that are illegal for URIs,
but I'm still new to XProc so I'm not sure how to solve it.

I'm using:

Oxygen XML Editor
(includes Saxon 9, if it matters)
Mac OS X
v10.5 (“Leopard”)

I'd be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction!

I have a feeling the solution to this is probably really simple…but
I've already toyed around with various options for a few hours with no
luck.  :(