Re: XProc terminology and reference model?

"Costello, Roger L." <costello@mitre.org> writes:
> I would like to confirm with you some terminology.
>
> A .xpl file is the:
>    - pipeline definition
>    - workflow definition
>    - process definition
>
> (Any of these terms may be used)

I prefer "pipeline file" or "pipeline definition".

> Calabash and Calumet are:
>    - pipeline engines
>    - workflow engines

Again, I strongly prefer "pipeline" over "workflow". Yes, you can do
some simple workflows with XProc pipelines, but it's not designed to
satisfy the requirements of more complex workflow use cases.

> The XML files that are processed are the:
>    - cases
>
> (This is the term used by the Workflow Management Coalition [1])

I call the XML files that are processed "documents".

> XProc Reference Model:
>
> http://www.xfront.com/xproc-reference-model.gif
>
> Do you agree with these terms, and with the reference model?

Pipeline processors don't usually write XPL files so I think that
arrow should be one way.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | O for a Muse of fire, that would ascend
http://nwalsh.com/            | / The brightest heaven of invention, /