Re: XProc versus BPEL

I agree with Tomas here;

True, XProc can be used to implement such workflows, especially in an
'all xml' environment, but the enterprise is usually heterogeneous
which means once you have to start working with non xml data life
becomes more complicated. I would imagine the same probs start with
BPEL being xml based, but the tooling will be better equipped to
manage such situations.

I see BPEL as a technology pitched towards enterprise business
solution ... whereas XProc is a general utility for defining xml
pipelines probably more analogous to unix pipes. Putting XProc in a
'versus' type argument with BPEL is an interesting exercise, though
its a natural mismatch in what each technology is trying to solve.

I have said before recently that I personally find the 'enterprise
bias' in a lot of standards and technologies unhelpful ... so I
probably would find myself reaching for simpler tools first (if left
to my own devices/decision) but I can see if given enterprise level
problems where I would have to be careful in applying XProc, which is
a hallmark of any general useful utility.

I would suggest changing lightweight and heavyweight to something like:

XProc: general utility
BPEL: enterprise level business

cheers, Jim Fuller