Re: Where's the parallelize step?

I still think thats not quite the same thing as originally posed.

While I belive your right that the below example "could be parallized" by a
conforming processor.
There still is the other set of features which xproc does not have
reguarding explicitly saying operations are to be done in parallel.  This is
in the realm of workflow languages and modeling such as BPEL.  To do these
it takes more then allowing a processor to parallize tasks, but it also
requires semantics to "JOIN" parallel tasks predictably (wait until one,
several, or all complete).
For example, I dont belive XProc has any semantics to say "Wait until any
one of pipelines A,B or C completes then execute D, canceling the 2 which
did not complete first.

It would definately be nice to have this feature but I could see why the
authors wouldnt want to go down that path (atleast for V1) ... It adds a lot
of complexity to both the specs and the implementation.   Also the common
use cases for this kind of control parallelism I'm not so sure are the
common use cases for xproc (yet).   Workflow parallisims (say in BPEL) often
from the need to control tasks which have external triggers, for example it
may be very critical to say "Wait until an invoice is either paid or
rejected or until 30 days elapse", when its (imho) not so critical to say
"Wait until either the xslt or xquery is finished.".

-David