the result of validation is...PSVI?

From: James Garriss <james@garriss.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 08:42:16 -0400
To: XProc Dev <xproc-dev@w3.org>
Good news, I got p:validate-with-xml-schema working.  Thank you, Norm, for
the new (and improved) version of Calabash.

I was surprised to see the result of validation to be PSVI.  Normally when I
validate an XML document, I want to know if it's valid or not, and if not,
why not.  And if it's valid I would do one thing, but if it's not valid, I
would do another.  I was expecting the result of p:validate-with-xml-schema
to be true or false, much like the result of p:compare.  But that's not the
way it is.

So, how might I work around this?  Here's my guess:  Set assert-valid to
true.  Put p:validate-with-xml-schema in a try-catch.  If it's true (no
error), ignore the PSVI and keep processing.  If it's false (error), deal
with the invalidation (somehow) and end the pipeline gracefully.

Would that work?  Better ideas?

TIA,

James Garriss
http://garriss.blogspot.com