Re: primary ports and automatic connections

From: mozer <xmlizer@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 05:29:42 +0200
To: "James Garriss" <james@garriss.org>
Cc: "XProc Dev" <xproc-dev@w3.org>
James,

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 1:30 AM, James Garriss <james@garriss.org> wrote:

>  from:  2:3 Primary Inputs and Outputs
>
> "The special significance of primary input and output ports is that they
> are connected automatically by the processor if no explicit binding is
> given."
>
> Is it valid to assume then that if an input port is not a primary port, it
> is not automatically connected by the processor?

Sure !

> I ask because when I run this pipeline in Calabash 0.6.0:

> I get this output:
>
> <foo xmlns:p="http://www.w3.org/ns/xproc">bar</foo<http://www.w3.org/ns/xproc%22%3Ebar%3C/foo>
> >

> This puzzles me, because identity has no primary ports:

Of course there is a primary input AND a primary output port
If you look at the definition of primary input port

[Definition: If a step has a document input port which is explicitly marked
"primary='true'", or if it has exactly one document input port and that port
is *not* explicitly marked "primary='false'", then that input port is
the *primary
input port* of the step]

you can see that

[[
or if it has exactly one document input port and that port is *not* explicitly
marked "primary='false'",
]]

which is exaclty the case for p:identity and a bunch of other steps

Xmlizer