IRI Reference

From: James Garriss <james@garriss.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 21:57:29 -0400
To: XProc Dev <xproc-dev@w3.org>
>From section 7.1.14:  The p:load step has no inputs but produces as its
result an XML resource specified by an IRI... The value of the href option
must be an anyURI. It is interpreted as an IRI reference.

Ok, I know what a URI and a URL is, so what¹s an IRI?  I found it mentioned
several times in the document, but no explanation.  Neither was it listed in
the glossary.

Appreciate any explanations (or pointers to an explanation),

James Garriss
http://garriss.blogspot.com