Difference between 'contained steps' and 'subpipeline'

From: David A. Lee <dlee@calldei.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 09:39:17 -0500
To: "XProc Dev" <xproc-dev@w3.org>
I'm a little (ok a LOT) confused between the difference of 'contained steps' and 'subpipeline'

E.g in the spec in this part:

  name? = NCName
  type? = QName
  psvi-required? = boolean
  xpath-version? = string
  exclude-inline-prefixes? = prefix list>
    (p:input |
     p:output |
     p:option |
     p:log |
    (p:declare-step |

What's the difference between the sequence of p:declare-step and subpipeline ?
What really confuses me is this comment : from 2.1
User-defined pipelines (identified with pfx:user-pipeline in the preceding syntax summary) are atomic. A pipeline declaration may contain a subpipeline, but the invocation of that pipeline does not.

So that last sentance ... is it saying the "subpipeline" in the above p:pipeline is not executed ?

If so what is done with it ?

Any references to examples would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you !

-David Lee

David A. Lee