Re: Entity Expansion

From: David A. Lee <dlee@calldei.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 12:46:53 -0500
To: "Norman Walsh" <ndw@nwalsh.com>, "XProc Dev" <xproc-dev@w3.org>

Thanks for the discussion and pointers.  Especially about serialization
ideas.
I'm particularly encouraged by your comment about "roll your own" because I
too am not too happy with the existing streaming API's either but thought
perhaps it was just my ignorance and maybe I was missing something everyone
else thought was obvious :)

( although I think Binary XML could be relevent exactly because it is an
alternate serialization of the infoset ... maybe its an option if it
preserves the entire infoset ... but my first pass over that spec was that
its prety complicated and likely inefficient ... but maybe a minimalist
implementation would be a viable option)

One thing.
My read of

"Except where the semantics of a step explicitly require changes, processors
are required to preserve the information in the documents and fragments they
manipulate. In particular, the information corresponding to the [Infoset]
properties [attributes], [base URI], [children], [local name], [namespace
name], [normalized value], [owner], and [parent] must be preserved."
---
In particular the fragment "[attributes] ... must be preserved"
implies that adding xml:base attributes without explicitly requested is in
direct violation of the spec.

the logic (in my head) is that the [attributes] properties is not preserved
if you add to them.
Thus an implementation that adds any attributes (even magic ones like
xml:base or xml:id or xmlns) without explicitly requested is in violation

-David
David A. Lee
dlee@calldei.com
http://www.calldei.com