Re: Calabash and http-request

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 09:03:22 -0500
To: XProc Dev <xproc-dev@w3.org>
"David A. Lee" <dlee@calldei.com> writes:

> --- Quoteth Norm
> I see where you're going, but I think the WG has consensus that the
> p:http-request step should be a fairly rich step. I also think there's
> a natural answer to the questions you pose: the step should be media
> type agnostic. So cookies are in, Java, ActiveX Controls, etc. are
> out.
> ----
> Would this then become a requirement ? or a vendor implementation
> decision ? Cookies are particularly problematic because to fully
> implement them requires state. That is they may have an expiration
> way into the future (1 year is not uncommon), so you'd need to keep
> a cookie cache around and also document the side effects.

That's a good point. The specific bug report that started this line
of exploration related to the fact that some sites rely on cookies
being passed across an HTTP redirect.

So I think we should require that the p:http-request step honor
cookies for the duration of one invocation. I would happily accept
making it implementation dependent if cookie state is maintained
across several different invokations within the same pipeline or
across completely separate pipeline invocations.

                                        Be seeing you,

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | There has never been a perfect
http://nwalsh.com/            | government, because men have passions;