Re: Calabash and http-request

From: David A. Lee <dlee@calldei.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 12:41:53 -0500
To: "Norman Walsh" <ndw@nwalsh.com>, "XProc Dev" <xproc-dev@w3.org>

--- Asketh Norman
This is either an opportunity for someone to point out why it would be
a really bad idea to add those dependencies or fair warning that the
next release will have them ... or both.
---

My oppinion is that adding these depancies and advanced features is an
slippery slope.
If you need advanced features like cookie processing etc then you should be
running a specialized
tool like "wget", which can be run from xproc as an external process step.
Its a slippery slope because "whats next" ? caching ? JavaScript ? ActiveX
controls ?
AJAX ? Java applets ? Silverlight ? on and on ...
My oppinion is to keep the core functionality simple and clean and let
people use custom external tools
for the fancy stuff.

-David

David A. Lee