Re: Web based XML Schema validator tool

On Wed, 2016-04-27 at 22:04 +0100, Michael Kay wrote:
> Wikipedia editors tend to be rather quick to remove anything that
> looks like advertising,

There's plenty of precedent for a list of implementations that support
a given spec, often with a feature table, and including commercial
software [1].

Since there have been two or three requests to update the page so far
this year, I've added both your and Clemens' entries.

In general I prefer to see community-driven pages where possible,
though, since these pages of implementations tend to go out of date
quickly and become less useful.

Would there be mileage in a W3C community group to track XML software?

An alternative is that I could do what I did with the list of XML
parsers years ago - move it to an "archived" page and replace it with
suggested search engine terms for people to find software. After all,
XML Schema is sufficiently widely deployed that it's actually fairly
easy to find software supporting it - removing the list in that sense
is a mark of success.

The one thing I can't do is allocate several hours a week to looking
after the various lists of software - XML, XInclude, EXI, XProc, XSLT,
XPath, XQuery 1 and 3, XQuery Full Text, XQuery Update, XML Schema,
SML, XSL-FO, the list goes on... But XML outreach *is* (I claim!) part
of my job... so if I can reign it in to the feasible and useful it's
all good and if these lists are useful beyond showing people within W3C
that the specification is ready to become a Recommendation, I could
give them some loving kindness.

Liam

[1] some examples...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_XML_editors