Re: keyref to a key in a different scope

On 14/01/2013 13:16, George Cristian Bina wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have problems identifying the relevant parts of the XML Schema spec
> that apply to the following example.

You're not the only one. This bit of the spec is horrendous. I generally
advise users against doing this.

First we need to look in 3.11.5 to understand the identity-constraint
tables that are built. (I'm using the 1.1 spec, though I don't think it
is materially different).

For each of the two "child" elements, the key named "k" is an eligible
identity-constraint, and the element therefore has an
identity-constraint table with a single entry, which (under rule 2 of
"node table") associates the contraint "k" with a node table which
itself has a two entries. The node table for the first child is (("a1",
child[1]/element[1]), ("a2", child[1]/element[2]), and that for the
second is (("a1", child[2]/element[1]), ("a4", child[2]/element[2]).

For the parent element, "k" is also an eligible identity constraint,
because the element has a child with an identity-constraint table for
that constraint. For the parent element. Under rule 1, this would
include the four entries

("a1", child[1]/element[1]),
("a2", child[1]/element[2]),
("a1", child[2]/element[1]),
("a4", child[2]/element[2])

except that the "provided" clause underneath rule 2 (which we can tell
by virtue of indentation is supposed to qualify both rules 1 and 2) is
not satisfied (two entries have the same key but different nodes). My
reading of the rule about conflicts is that after resolving conflicts,
the node table is now

("a2", child[1]/element[2]),
("a4", child[2]/element[2])

The next place to look is 3.11.4

We'll now examine whether "parent" is valid given the keyref constraint.
So E=parent.

Rule 1: the target node set is the two test elements. True.

Rule 2: True.

Rule 3: All the conditions are satisfied, and the key-sequences for the
two test elements are "a2" and "a1" respectively.

Rule 4: The qualified node set is the same as the target node set (the
two test elements).

Rule 4.3: I am appalled to see that the spec still contains the totally
incomprehensible phrase "which is understood as logically prior to this
clause of this constraint, below". I have never known what that is
supposed to mean. But let's battle on. What 4.3 tells us is that E is
valid if E (the parent element) has a "node table" corresponding to "k"
which contains an entry for every test/@ref value, that is, for "a2" and
"a1".

If the above interpretation of the conflict resolution is correct, E's
node table does not have an entry for "a1" (because the value appeared
more than once) and therefore E is not valid.

Whether this is actually what's going on in Saxon's implementation I
have no idea. If the spec is impenetrable, so is Saxon's implementation,
and there isn't a neat one-to-one correspondence between the two. (This
is partly so that we can produce better diagnostics.) But I think the
answer is right., and the nature of the error message (More than one
referenced value found for keyRef {kr} "a1") appears to confirm this.

Michael Kay
Saxonica