Re: Adding restriction to a complexType

If you're bound to use XSD 1.0, a possible way is to modify the schema
according to XSD 1.0 language. Here's a possible solution with XSD 1.0,

<xs:element name="productName">
     <xs:complexType>
       <xs:sequence>
          <xs:element name="name">
             <xs:simpleType>
                <xs:restriction base="xs:string">
                  <xs:minLength value="1"/>
                  <xs:maxLength value="255"/>
                </xs:restriction>
             </xs:simpleType>
          </xs:element>
          <xs:element ref="entityRef" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
       <xs:sequence>
     </xs:complexType>
 </xs:element>

I've defined two sibling elements, and wrapped them within another element.

The above schema fragment can be varied according to the preferred style.
But if the text of complexType mixed content needs to be constrained, then
as has been written by Mike, using XSD 1.1 <assert> is a possible solution.

--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi