Re: Access to Schema API information

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 10:30:48 +0100
To: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Cc: "w3c-xsl-query\@w3.org" <w3c-xsl-query@w3.org>, "xmlschema-dev\@w3.org" <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
[Sorry for earlier no-comment reply!]

Michael Kay writes:

> On 22/05/2012 11:06, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
>> Michael Kay writes:
>>> I have been implementing a Saxon extension that exposes the Schema
>>> Component Model to XSLT and XQuery applications
>> Using functions is cool, but did you consider sticking with XPath?
> It does stick with XPath, only it's XPath 3.0...
> I think that attempts to model this information using elements and
> attributes suffer two main problems:
> (a) the node identity problem.

Good point.

> (b) the network modelling problem: the schema component model is a
> network, while XML is best at modelling trees. Any attempt to model a
> graph in XML leads to (a) to arbitrary decisions about which
> relationships to model as XML parent/child relationships, and (b) very
> clumsy navigation when you have to follow the non-hierarchic links.

Not necessarily -- you can use XPath over an arbitrary directed graph
just fine (modulo some issues wrt cycles and //, but those are
reasonably straightforward to resolve).  You can't _serialise_
re-entrant or cyclic graphs as vanilla XML, but that's not relevant to
the task at hand.

                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk