Re: Although no external representation of schemas is required ... What is an "external" representation?

From: G. Ken Holman <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 09:23:02 -0300
To: "xmlschema-dev@w3.org" <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
At 2012-06-28 12:15 +0000, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
>In section 3.1.2 of the Structures specification it says:
>
>     Although no external representation of schemas
>     is required ...
>
>What is an "external" representation of an XML Schema?

Typically XML Schema syntax in XML (though I gather there are some
experiments out there with alternative syntaxes).

>External to what?

The schema processor.

>What is a non-external (internal?) representation of an XML Schema?
>Do such things exist?

They can.  As a convenience a processor can build-in the schema
components of a given namespace such that the user need not have to
supply an external expression of those schema components.

I don't know any that do, just because I haven't looked, but it is
certainly possible for a processor to offer this.

I hope this helps.

--
Public XSLT, XSL-FO, UBL and code list classes in Europe -- Oct 2012
Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm