Re: Extending an enumeration

From: Mukul Gandhi <gandhi.mukul@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 22:33:23 +0100
To: Florent Georges <lists@fgeorges.org>
Cc: "xmlschema-dev@w3.org" <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
Hi Florent,
    Related to this use-case, here's a different way of thinking about
XSD type inheritance in XSD 1.1 world.

<xs:complexType name="working-days">
    <xs:simpleContent>
	 <xs:extension base="week-days">
	     <xs:assert test="not($value = ('saturday', 'sunday'))"/>
	 </xs:extension>
    </xs:simpleContent>
</xs:complexType>

<xs:simpleType name="week-days">
      <xs:restriction base="xs:string">
	   <xs:enumeration value="monday"/>
	   <xs:enumeration value="tuesday"/>
	   <xs:enumeration value="wednesday"/>
	   <xs:enumeration value="thursday"/>
	   <xs:enumeration value="friday"/>
	   <xs:enumeration value="saturday"/>
	   <xs:enumeration value="sunday"/>
      </xs:restriction>
</xs:simpleType>

These set of XSD types, doesn't exactly model XSD components as per
your modeling recommendations (i.e, a simpleType should extend another
simpleType). But this allows us, to reuse the specification of value
space of one XSD type ("week-days") within another type definition
("working-days"). In this example, the derived type is using an
<assert> to constrain the value space of the base type.

Does this look somewhat ok?

--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi