Re: What is the correct terminology for a chain of base simpleTypes versus a chain of constructed-from simpleTypes?

On Jun 21, 2011, at 5:31 AM, Costello, Roger L. wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Consider these two simpleTypes:
>
>    <xsd:simpleType name="LotteryNumbers">
>        <xsd:restriction>
>            <xsd:simpleType>
>                <xsd:list itemType="OneToNinetyNine"/>
>            </xsd:simpleType>
>            <xsd:length value="6"/>
>        </xsd:restriction>
>    </xsd:simpleType>
>
>    <xsd:simpleType name="OneToNinetyNine">
>        <xsd:restriction base="xsd:positiveInteger">
>            <xsd:maxInclusive value="99"/>
>        </xsd:restriction>
>    </xsd:simpleType>
>
> The chain of base types is:
>
> LotteryNumbers --> the anonymous list simpleType --> OneToNintyNine

Not so.  The base type of the anonymous list type is not OneToNinetyNine
but xsd:anySimpleType.

> The chain of constructed from types is:
>
> LotteryNumbers --> OneToNintyNine

That would be a surprising use of terminology in my view:  LotteryNumbers
is not constructed from OneToNinetyNine (as the XSD 1.1 spec uses the
term 'constructed from'); it is constructed, by facet-based restriction, from
the anonymous list type. It is the anonymous list type which is constructed
(by the list constructor) from OneToNinetyNine.

> What is the correct terminology for the two chains?
>
> Is the second one is called the "type definition chain" or the "constructed type definition chain"?
>
> Is the first one called the "base type definition chain"?

Called by whom?

* http://www.blackmesatech.com
* http://cmsmcq.com/mib
* http://balisage.net