Re: Express length constraints in a regex or use maxLength and minLength?

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 22:53:12 +0000
To: "C. M. Sperberg-McQueen" <cmsmcq@blackmesatech.com>
CC: xmlschema-dev@w3.org, "Costello, Roger L." <costello@mitre.org>, Liam Quin <liam@w3.org>
I've been asking for several years
> to hear of a system that was stable for 1.0 names but actually did break,
> or would break, if confronted with 1.1 names.  I'll ask it again:  anyone
> who can tell me of such a system (constructed for other purposes
> than demonstrating fragility in the face of 1.1 names) will get a beer
> from me when we are next in the same city.

Depends what you mean by "stable" and "break". I've certainly seen code
that needed to be changed to accommodate the increased set of name
characters, and where the change was non-trivial because the increased
set included non-BMP characters. The code was concerned with mapping XML
names onto unique identifiers in some other space (SQL column names,
perhaps? I forget the details).

Michael Kay
Saxonica