Re: Express length constraints in a regex or use maxLength and minLength?

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 20:49:19 +0000
To: "Costello, Roger L." <costello@mitre.org>
CC: "xmlschema-dev@w3.org" <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

> I did an investigation into the set of characters that are used in English family names and the length of English family names. I found that 99.999% of all English family names are no longer than 100 characters. If that is the case, why would I not impose a limit of 100 characters?

Why do you want to reject valid names, even if they only occur in 0.001%
of cases?

And why do you want to write software that only accepts English family
names - it seems remarkably xenophobic to me.

It's like saying the character "" occurs in only 0.001% of family
names, and they're all immigrants anyway, so you don't really care about
spelling their names correctly.

Michael Kay
Saxonica