W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > xmlschema-dev@w3.org > April 2011

Re: Here's why I use XML Schemas ... Why do you use XML Schemas? (UNCLASSIFIED)

From: Cheney, Edward A SSG RES USAR USARC <austin.cheney@us.army.mil>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 09:50:24 -0500
To: "xmlschema-dev@w3.org" <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
Message-ID: <763095ca2c7b.4dac0960@us.army.mil>
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED

> Why do you use XML Schemas?
> 
> /Roger

I have completed only one single Schema document.  I needed a proof of
concept to solve theoretical business problems and create a cost reduced
method of information desimination for my employer.  I needed something
that structures conveyance of human expressions and data literals
exactly like the original intention of HTML.  However, in order to solve
the problems at hand I needed something where the structure itself is
self-validating and simultaneously allows for structured data over a
transmission means that is inherently extensible and possibly
self-replicating without interference or degradation to the formulated
structure.

Schema alone was insufficient to complete this objective, but it got me
95% of the way there.  The remaining 5% is not a limitation in Schema,
but rather a limitation in the capabilities of XML and possibly SGML.  I
don't if this bit about SGML is true, but I needed Schema to define an
acceptable data structure, and so SGML is irrelevant.  For this last 5%
I wrote a definition of a processing consideration that solved my
remaining problem in such a way that this single feature became the core
of the document that the Schema based structure is completely wrapped
around.  I could never have completed this objective with the terseness
required had it not been for SGML.

Austin Cheney, CISSP
http://prettydiff.com/
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Received on Monday, 18 April 2011 14:50:57 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 18 April 2011 14:50:58 GMT