Re: Extending "choice" model group in a xsd schema

Kevin Braun wrote:

> On 12/28/2009 9:28 AM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
>> (red | blue)* (dark-red | dark-blue)*
>
> What you actually have is:
>   (red | blue)+ (dark-red | dark-blue)+
>
> Your choice groups don't have minOccurs=0.

Hmm, i apparently misunderstood the cardinality of "choice". I was referring
to this article
http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/srivastava_structures.html
which says:

" Choice - (a | b)* - means that from the set of child elements declared
within the choice model group exactly one element must occur in the
corresponding XML-instance. The cardinality of a choice model group can
range from 0 to unbounded. A choice model group can futher contain a
sequence or a choice model group recursively."

It's the (a | b) * which misled me.

Kevin Braun wrote:

> If you are after (red | blue | dark-red | dark-blue)+, you aren't going
> to achieve it the way you are going.  Walmsley suggests using
> substitution groups to extend choice groups (see 19.5.2 Extensions for
> Choice Groups, in Definitive XML Schema).  You might take a look at that
> approach and see if it meets your needs.

Thanks Kevin, looking forward to get a copy of that one.