RE: Extending "choice" model group in a xsd schema

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 15:35:07 -0000
To: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>, "'Henry S. Thompson'" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Cc: "'Jaikiran Pai'" <jai_forums2005@yahoo.co.in>, <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

> I think there was an intuition on the part of some members of
> the working group that extension would not only be similar in
> spirit to what is done for data inheritance in OO programming
> languages, but that it would facilitate serialization of such
> OO structures to XML.

I thought it was probably something along those lines.

The odd thing though is that the OO languages I'm familiar with treat the
fields/methods on a class as a set rather than a sequence, and a subclass
can add members to this set; so they don't have any kind of user-visible
constraint like the one in XSD that says the additions have to be at the end
of the sequence.

Regards,

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/