Re: How to make simple type choice

  You can use xs:assert for this, but conditional type assignment is
probably a closer fit to the requirement - it's specifically designed to
allow you to validate the element contentagainst a type chosen on the
basis of the value of an attribute

<xs:element name="queries">
<xs:alternative test="@name='test1'" type="type1"/>
<xs:alternative type="type2"/>
</xs:element>

On the other hand, I often find xs:assert easier even in cases like
this. Here it would be something like this:

<xs:assert test="every $q in query satisfies
                                    $q/@name = if (@name='test1')
                                                            then
('somename1', 'somename2')
                                                            else
('somename2', 'somename3')"/>

Note, with Saxon it's always a good idea to express assertions using
"every X satisfies", because Saxon treats them specially from the point
of view of diagnostics - you will get a list of the query elements (with
line numbers) that don't satisfy the condition.

Michael Kay
Saxonica