Re: [metadata] versions and profiles of ISO 19139

Ian, and everyone:

     I chewed over this whole tempest through a leisurely, solo lunch.

     And as I masticated, I considered the original directive given to
DARPA deep in the bowels of the Pentagon around the time that I was
born,
from which all of this (and a great deal more) has resulted.

     And it all seems consistent to me.

     At the risk of sounding pedantic, I have to repeat that the
overriding need
which brought the Internet into being was for army posts to be able  to
continue to communicate with each other IN THE EVENT THAT HQ GOT KNOCKED
OUT by nuclear blast or other means.
     It is that fact which makes it so "democratic" and so impossible
for any authority
to regulate or control.
     Sometimes we love that.  Sometimes we don't.
     But that's the way it is.  And I think it will stay that way.

     On this particular issue, I think that eventually all of us who are
building and storing and editing and displaying geographic information
metadata, will come to use
approximately (but not exactly) the same conventions, methodologies,
taxonomies, structures, etc., with the aid of published "standards"
which will never be
completely unique, precise, dogmatic and persistent, but will
nevertheless, help.

-JohnT