RE: Best Practices for Establishing Namespace Name

I agree with Michael.
The fact that there is no general URN resolution service (besides reading
the relevant RFCs) is highly inconvenient and pragmatically it is a killer.
But the fact that URN assignment is onerous (much much much more onerous
than URL creation) is not necessarily a bad thing.

Some resources really are more valuable than others, and having a high
threshold in the identifier assignment process reinforces this.
I think I understand the Thompson/TAG argument that the same discipline
*could* be applied to http URIs, but in general it is not ... which leaves
us in this maybe/maybe not situation.

Simon Cox

European Commission, Joint Research Centre,
Institute for Environment and Sustainability,
Spatial Data Infrastructures Unit, TP 262
Via E. Fermi, 2749, I-21027 Ispra (VA), Italy
Tel: +39 0332 78 3652
Fax: +39 0332 78 6325
mailto:simon.cox@jrc.ec.europa.eu
http://ies.jrc.ec.europa.eu/simon-cox