RE: Best Practices for Establishing Namespace Name

In some situations it is good to include dates or version numbers in
namespace names.
For example, if your maintenance/governance arrangement expects new
versions, and particularly if the new versions are not compatible with older
versions.
Geography Markup Language from OGC made the mistake of keeping the same XML
namespace for several incompatible versions of GML, and this has caused
confusion. (The policy has since been fixed).

Of course, you can choose to give your new version a completely new name and
namespace, but sometimes you want to claim continuity, or at least a common
scope, with an earlier product, but not confuse processors by having
incompatible declarations in the same target namesapce.

There are no universal rules here - you need to be clear about your
application and requirements.

Simon Cox

European Commission, Joint Research Centre,
Institute for Environment and Sustainability,
Spatial Data Infrastructures Unit, TP 262
Via E. Fermi, 2749, I-21027 Ispra (VA), Italy
Tel: +39 0332 78 3652
Fax: +39 0332 78 6325
mailto:simon.cox@jrc.ec.europa.eu
http://ies.jrc.ec.europa.eu/simon-cox