Re: Best Practices for Establishing Namespace Name

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 10:39:38 +0100
To: "Tsao, Scott" <scott.tsao@boeing.com>
Cc: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>, <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

Many people use 'URL' to mean 'URI using the http: scheme', yes.

> And, is the use of them for namespace names (in lieu of URN)
> recommended by standards organizations such as W3C and OASIS?

Absolutely.  OASIS have backed off using URNs as namespace names, and
W3C TAG strongly recommends using http: URIs for this purpose.

> The committee (we are participating in) seems to think that we
> should register a formal URN namespace for "global" uses like OASIS
> and S1000D have done [1], because that would allow us to use this
> unique namespace as part of our schema namespace structure for
> different schemas in different specifications.

Why doesn't the same apply for e.g. http://[your committee]/namespaces/xxx?

Which has the additional benefit that as I mentioned before, you can
document your namespace at that URI...

ht
- --
                         Half-time member of W3C Team