RE: Motivations for restricting the "all" group

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 09:14:12 +0100
To: "'Dag Hovland'" <dag.hovland@uib.no>, <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

There are a number of "restrictions" in the xs:all facility, if by
"restriction" you mean a facility that could have been added to the language
but wasn't. The most obvious ones are:

(a) maxOccurs is limited to the values 0 or 1

(b) the xs:all compositor cannot be combined with the sequence and choice
compositors

As a matter of historical research, it's always very difficult to give a
reliable answer to the question "why did the WG decide X?". The minutes will
usually only record the decision, and if you're lucky a very terse summary
of some of the points that were made - it won't tell you why particular
people voted in particular ways. It can be hard to know why a decision went
a particular way even if you were at the meeting. However, this decision
reflects a general tendency found in the working group to be cautious about
offering features in the language that might prove (i) difficult to
implement and (ii) useful to only a small number of users, while at the same
time designing the syntax of the language so that it could easily be
extended to remove the restrictions in a later release.

Note that restriction (a) has been removed in XSD 1.1, restriction (b) has
not.

Regards,

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/