RE: Validating XPath queries

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 10:23:02 +0100
To: "'Paul Steckler'" <Paul.Steckler@nicta.com.au>, <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

>   Does anyone know of a tool that validates XPath queries
> against XML schemas?  For a given schema, a query is valid if
> there exists a document valid in the schema for which the
> query returns at least one result.

Sure, Saxon-SA does this as part of schema-aware XSLT and XQuery processing,
and the functionality could be packaged to do what you are asking. Well, it
does almost this: Given an XPath expression and a schema type (typically a
complex type), Saxon will tell you whether the expression is capable of
selecting anything when applied to a context node of that type.

>    I've seen mention on this list of XPath somehow
> incorporated into XML Scheme 1.1.  Does that capability
> obviate the value of such a tool?

No, the fact that XSD uses XPath for defining assertions doesn't directly
help with your requirement.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/