Re: Validating XPath queries

From: Andrew Welch <andrew.j.welch@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 10:04:40 +0100
To: Paul Steckler <Paul.Steckler@nicta.com.au>
Cc: "xmlschema-dev@w3.org" <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
>  Does anyone know of a tool that validates XPath queries against XML
> schemas?  For a given schema, a query is valid if there exists a document
> valid in the schema for which the query returns at least one result.

If you mean you would like a tool to tell you "/foo/bar" will fail
because in the xsd there is no <bar> child of <foo>, then Saxon does
that (www.saxonica.com) for "schema aware" xslt (and possibly xquery),
not sure about straight xpath though.

>   I've seen mention on this list of XPath somehow incorporated into
> XML Scheme 1.1.  Does that capability obviate the value of such a
> tool?

No that's something else, but both are needed!

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com