RE: [XML Schema 1.1] I respectfully recommend these changes to <assert> and <alternative>

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 13:34:53 +0100
To: "'Costello, Roger L.'" <costello@mitre.org>, <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

> BREAKS XPATH
>
> (Paraphrasing) By allowing the XPath in an <assert> element
> to reference ancestors, cousins, and siblings it will break XPath.

I don't recognize or recall the comment that you claim to be paraphrasing.

> POOR PERFORMANCE
>
> As I illustrate above, in XSLT the XPath expressions can
> reference anywhere. It doesn't seem to impose an undue burden
> on XSLT processors. So why would it impose an undue burden on
> XML Schema validators?

I think this is based on an assumption that the performance requirement is
higher for validation than for transformation. One could question whether
this assumption is well-founded - it's obviously going to vary from one user
to another.

> Besides, even if it did, so what? Isn't the objective to make
> things easier and better for the users, not the validator
> implementors?

Well, it's users who benefit from improved performance, not implementors!
But I agree entirely. My argument for this feature is not based on
performance.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/