RE: [XML Schema 1.1] I respectfully recommend these changes to <assert> and <alternative>

From: Costello, Roger L. <costello@mitre.org>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 09:51:41 -0400
To: "'xmlschema-dev@w3.org'" <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
Hi Mukul,

> We could define suitable assertions, at anywhere in the hierarchy of
> the Schema document.

Yes, I agree that we can do that.

But it's a fragile situation. Suppose that you want your book assertions to take into account other information, information that is in another part of the tree. You will need to either:

1. Move the assertion to a location that encompasses the current book information plus the new information, or

2. Redesign the data, placing the other information in with the book.

Wouldn't it be easier and better if the XPath was not restricted and allowed us to factor in information, regardless of where it is located in the tree?

/Roger