RE: [XML Schema 1.1] XPath in <alternative> cannot look up or down the tree, correct?

Yes, that's correct. Well, almost correct. There's a new feature of
"inheritable attributes": if an attribute of an ancestor element of E is
declared as being inheritable, then you can refer to it in xs:alternative as
if it appeared on element E itself. This was put in specifically for
xml:lang, but it works equally well for other attributes that apply
throughout a subtree unless overridden.

Regards,

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/