RE: [XML Schema 1.1] I need an example that illustrates the usefulness of xs:error

Hi Mukul,

Yesterday I was talking with a colleague and I described to him Conditional Type Alternative (CTA) and then xs:error. He was puzzled about xs:error. He couldn't see a legitimate (nonredundant) use case for it. As I got to thinking about it, I agreed with him.

For example, if the kind attribute is declared like this:

<attribute name="kind">
    <simpleType>
        <restriction base="string">
            <enumeration value="book" />
            <enumeration value="magazine" />
        </restriction>
    </simpleType>
</attribute>

Then this CTA will ensure that <Publication> has MagazineType content when kind equals 'magazine' and <Publication> has BookType when kind equals 'book' and an error is generated when kind has some other value:

<xs:element name="Publication" type="PublicationType">
     <xs:alternative test="@kind eq 'magazine'" type="MagazineType" />
     <xs:alternative test="@kind eq 'book'" type="BookType" />
</xs:element>

If the kind attribute is declared like this:

<attribute name="kind" type="string" />

Then this CTA does the same functionality as above:

<xs:element name="Publication" type="PublicationType">
     <xs:alternative test="@kind eq 'magazine'" type="MagazineType" />
     <xs:alternative test="@kind eq 'book'" type="BookType" />
     <xs:alternative test="(@kind ne 'book') and (@kind ne 'magazine')"
                     type="xs:error" />
</xs:element>

In this case xs:error is used to trigger an error when kind does not have the value 'magazine' or 'book'.

Thus, this shows two ways to do the same thing. Is that the purpose of xs:error, to provide another way of accomplishing things? That's okay, but it shows xs:error as being redundant. Is there some example that shows xs:error doing something that could not otherwise be accomplished?

/Roger