RE: emptiable content in particle inheritance

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 21:24:59 -0000
To: "'G. Ken Holman'" <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>, <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

> I think it is explicit.
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#declare-element states:
>
>    "the corresponding schema components are as follows (unless
>     minOccurs=maxOccurs=0, in which case the item corresponds
>     to no component at all):"

Ah yes, thanks - I knew it had to be there somewhere!

And I see that the same rule is present for other kinds of particle as well.

One does wonder why maxOccurs="0" is allowed, if it has to be treated as an
exception to the normal rules. I guess it's analogous to use="prohibited" on
attributes, which also causes some odd anomalies.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/