Re: Why xsi:type works only inwards, not outwards?

Hi,

One brief comment embedded below.

Kevin

On 12/3/2009 11:13 AM, Krzysztof FF wrote:
> [...]
>
> Now I want to define specific rules for Room derived from Entity by
> restriction in app.xsd:
>
> <schema
>     targetNamespace="http://www.org.com/APP"
>     xmlns:app="http://www.org.com/APP"
>     xmlns:sys="http://www.org.com/SYS"
>     xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
>     xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
>     elementFormDefault="qualified">
>
>     <import
>         namespace="http://www.org.com/SYS"
>         schemaLocation="sys.xsd"/>
>
>     <element name="Room" type="app:RoomType" substitutionGroup="sys:Entity"
> />
>     <complexType name="RoomType">
>         <complexContent>
>             <restriction base="sys:EntityType">
>                 <sequence>
>                     <element ref="app:roomCategory"></element>
>                 </sequence>
>             </restriction>
>         </complexContent>
>     </complexType>
>
>     <element name="roomCategory" type="app:RoomCategoryType"
> substitutionGroup="sys:category"/>
>     <simpleType name="RoomCategoryType">
>         <restriction base="sys:CategoryType">
>             <enumeration value="living"></enumeration>
>             <enumeration value="bedroom"></enumeration>
>             <enumeration value="kitchen"></enumeration>
>         </restriction>
>     </simpleType>
>
> </schema>
>
> Now I can write data using application model:
>
> <Room>
> <!-- namespaces omitted for brevity -->
>     <roomCategory>living</roomCategory>
> </Room>
>
> I could write the same data using plain system model, because Room is
> derived from Entity by restriction:
>
> <sys:Entity>
> <!-- namespaces omitted for brevity -->
>     <sys:category>living</sys:category>
> </sys:Entity1>
>
> The reason for flattening data to system model is to make it understandable
> for some low-level processing, whatever it is (i.e. without exact knowledge
> on application specifics).
>
> But there are some drawbacks:
> - validation can be made only against system schema, not application schema;
> - information about actual application types has been stripped out, although
> it could be of later use for some high-level processing, whatever it is
> (i.e. using knowledge of aplication specifics).
>
> My natural attempt was to use xsi:type attribute.
>
> But it occured that I can write
>
> <sys:Entity xsi:type="RoomType">
> <!-- namespaces omitted for brevity -->
>     <roomCategory>living</roomCategory>
> </sys:Entity1>
>
> OR
>
> <sys:Entity>
> <!-- namespaces omitted for brevity -->
>     <sys:category xsi:type=RoomCategoryType">living</sys:category>
> </sys:Entity>
>
> BUT USING xsi:type on both levels is illegal:
>
> <sys:Entity xsi:type="RoomType">
> <!-- namespaces omitted for brevity -->
>     <sys:category xsi:type=RoomCategoryType">living</sys:category>

I believe this would be invalid because you have indicated that
sys:Entity is actually a "RoomType", but then you give a sys:category
for the child, which is not legal according to "RoomType" - you need an
"app:roomCategory" element.  Once you tell it the type the element
should be validated against, you have to follow the model for that type.
> It seems that xsi:type "works" inwards, forcing inner content of element to
> be validated along referred type. But in the same time, it does not work
> outwards, i.e. inner element is not exposed as referred type - element name
> is interpreted explicitly instead.
>
> This is what I assume some drawback in how XML schema works, and causes my
> concept for exposing data using layered schemas to be illegal.
>
> I wonder if somebody could explain if there are some valid reasons for
> hiding xsi:type attribute referred from inner elements to their parent
> elements.

Kevin Braun
--
Objective Systems, Inc.