Re: Best Practices for Establishing Namespace Name

From: G. Ken Holman <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 21:37:01 -0300
To: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
At 2009-08-28 15:34 -0700, Tsao, Scott wrote:
>We are trying to decide on a namespace URI for an XML schema under
>development by a standards committee in the aerospace industry.
>Are there best practices that we could follow?  For example, the
>choice between URL and URN, case sensitivity, unique components in
>the name, and incorporation of RDDL, etc.
>Also, are there good example namespace names already established by
>standards committees such as those in OASIS?

I cite the OASIS genericode namespace as an example of using RDDL in XHTML:

And I used the following stylesheet to help me polish the document's accuracy:

Case sensitivity is implied by the Namespaces in XML specification:

I can think of no guidelines for namespace components other than not
implying there is a schema at the URL.  Just plan ahead so that you
can create a number of namespace URI strings without collisions.

I regret that the OASIS policy at the release of UBL was URN-based
and not URL-based, but such was the case at the time.

I hope this helps.

Interested in these classes?  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/i/
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/
Male Cancer Awareness Nov'07  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/bc