[XML Schema 1.1] How does Conditional Type Alternative (CTA) benefit businesses?

From: Costello, Roger L. <costello@mitre.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 13:37:35 -0400
To: "xmlschema-dev@w3.org" <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

Hi Folks,

I am creating a new tutorial:

    XML Schema 1.1 for Managers.

I am trying to describe how the new features in XML Schema 1.1 provide a benefit at the business level, not just the IT level.

I start my tutorial with a discussion of assertions. It's easy to see how assertions can benefit a business: using assertions you can declaratively express policy and business rules, rather than burying them in procedural code. That's a big win for a business in terms of being able to change policy and business rules and for transparency of rules.

The next thing in my tutorial is Conditional Type Alternatives. I see how it provides schema designers a handy way to vary the content of an element. But how does that benefit a business? Would a business person care about CTA?

What's the business level perspective on CTA?

/Roger