RE: [XML Schema 1.1] Is the Conditional Inclusion (VC) stuff useful today?

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 17:00:43 +0100
To: "'Costello, Roger L.'" <costello@mitre.org>, <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

> I'm having a hard time seeing the usefulness of
> vc:typeAvailable, vc:typeUnavailable, vc:facetAvailable,
> vc:facetUnavailable, vc:minVersion, and vc:maxVersion.
>
> I can see its usefulness in future versions of XML Schema
> (version 1.2, 1.3. etc) but I can't see its usefulness today.
>
> Does it have any usefulness today? If so, can you give me a
> practical example please?

It's mainly there because people realized belatedly that it should have been
in version 1.0. There is some optimism in some quarters that it will be
retrofitted to those 1.0 processors that are still under active development,
helping users to move forward to 1.1. It has been designed so that it would
be conformant to the 1.0 spec to do so.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/