RE: Validating application-specific XHTML

Sounds like you need to use schema-aware XSLT. If you use that to the full,
it can spot many cases of generating invalid output at stylesheet compile
time, and the rest at run-time. But it's not entirely clear to me from your
post what constraints you are trying to validate against and whether they
can all be expressed in a schema.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/