  From: xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org [mailto:xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Todd Moon
  Sent: 14 November 2008 17:53
  To: Michael Kay
  Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
  Subject: Re: Recursive XSD with targetNamespace

  > it is implicitly qualified by the targetNamespace.

  Well, I guess that was the gap in my knowledge. Thanks for all your help!

  - Todd Moon

  On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com> wrote:

    Very little that's in XSD makes intuitive sense - get used to it.

    The basic rule is that when you are defining a component (such as an
element declaration), the "name" attribute gives the local name, and it is
implicitly qualified by the targetNamespace. When you are referencing a
component, you use a QName in the "ref" attribute, and if the QName is
unprefixed, it refers to a name in the default namespace - not the target
namespace.

    Michael Kay
    http://www.saxonica.com/