Schema Instance why does xmlns attribute causes problem?

From: Joseph Pecoraro <joepeck02@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 12:28:32 -0500
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Hello,

I have a quick question.  I'm trying to validate an XML document using
a Schema and I ran into an issue.  I can't tell, based on the
specification
why what I have appears invalid.

I have the following:

<test test_id="1"
     xmlns="http://people.rit.edu/~jjp1820/770/project/xtml_test"
     xsi:schemaLocation="http://people.rit.edu/~jjp1820/770/project/xtml_test
                         http://people.rit.edu/~jjp1820/770/project/xtml_test.xsd
">

Which appears invalid in the tool that I'm using.

But, Once I remove the plain xmlns attribute and get the following
which appears valid:

<test test_id="1"
     xsi:schemaLocation="http://people.rit.edu/~jjp1820/770/project/xtml_test
                         http://people.rit.edu/~jjp1820/770/project/xtml_test.xsd
">

I would like to know why the top, previous example is "invalid."  To me,
it means the exact same thing, but its slightly redundant.  I will
certainly
use the bottom from now on, but I would be interested in knowing
how, why, or even if the top syntax is invalid.

Thanks guys,
Joseph Pecoraro