Re: schema arrangement or architecture

From: Andrew Welch <andrew.j.welch@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 10:25:48 +0100
To: "Jack Lindsey" <tuquenukem@hotmail.com>
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

2008/6/3 Jack Lindsey <tuquenukem@hotmail.com>:
> In "Salami Slice" only elements are globally declared, while their types are
> still defined anonymously within the element.  In "Venetian Blind" it is the
> reverse.  The complex types are defined globally but the elements
> are declared locally within them.  As you are obviously aware, making both
> elements and complex types global maximizes reusability opportunities.  I
> call this Venetian Salami but it is better known as the Garden of Eden
> style, coined by Eve Maler of Sun Microsystems, and I sing it praises in the
> first half of this article.
>
> Garden of Eden: The Key to Reuse
> http://www.tdan.com/view-articles/7185

Ahh that's a better name, and thanks for the clarification - I've been
using this style for a long time because you're pretty much forced to
if you want to use the types in schema-aware XSLT and XQuery but I've
always just referred to it as the horrible "salami slice".

"Garden of Eden" is just great :)

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com