Re: [xml-dev] New (long-overdue) release of XSV available

From: <contact@spycomponents.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 23:13:06 +0100
To: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>, <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>, "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>

Dear all!

I'm currently support for XSV into the next release of ValidatorBuddy
(http://www.spycomponents.com/ValidatorBuddy.htm) and started to do some
tests. Actually the integration uses the xsv.exe which comes with the
Windows installer (ValidatorBuddy also runs only on Windows).

I have a 40 MB XML instance file which is rather flat (no deep nesting)
which I use do check how the different parsers are doing with rather large
files and a simple xsd for it. On using XSV to validate it the process
(xsv.exe) takes about 1 GB of memory and after a few minutes I killed it.
AltovaXML and Xerces-C 2.7 are able to validate the XML in a few seconds
(and consuming less memory). Is it just the specific XML or XSV can't
validate larger XML instances?

Beside that I like the detailed error reporting of XSV and that the output
is generated as XML by the xsv.exe tool. This makes it very easy to parse
the output.

Regards, Ewa